Radio Frequency Identification has come a long way offering next level automation in libraries. An ever-increasing number of libraries are embracing RFID systems for automation and security needs. The utilization of RFID reduces the amount of time required to perform basic library operations like issue and return of multiple items, shelf management and stock verification.
LIBSYS’s LSmart RFID technology ensures that the library operations are performed more quickly because the technology does not require a line of sight and also numerous items can be read in one go. LSmart RFID System provides faster and reliable Check-In and Check-Out of library materials. It helps in faster stock and inventory operations using a handheld reader.
Key Features of RFID System in Libraries
The main objective for libraries in adopting RFID technology is the need to boost efficiency and lower manpower costs.
RFID has added advantage of providing security for all kinds of library resources. The technology can boost circulation and inventory control allowing libraries to save time and money.
To yield the best performance, RFID readers and RFID tags must be of good quality. It is the most important link in any RFID system. It can store and update information about a specific item to which it is attached without the need for contact or line of sight. Data within a tag provides identification for an item, proof of ownership, original storage location, loan status, and history. RFID tags are exclusively designed for the use in library media, including books, CDs, DVDs, and tapes.
RFID system offers high reliability in library circulation and inventory management.
RFID system offer processing of multiple tagged items in a single instance. Another feature of RFID technology is automated materials handling. This comprises conveyor and sorting systems that can transfer library materials and sort them by category into different bins or onto separate carts. This significantly cuts down the amount of staff time required to ready materials for re-shelving.
RFID in the library speeds up lending and stock monitoring processes and thus frees staff to do more user-oriented service tasks.
Benefits of LSmart-RFID System to Libraries
RFID can lead to significant savings in labor costs, enhance customer service and lower book theft.
- Stock management: Managing materials on the shelves, identifying missing items, and updating of new collection of books becomes easier. Inventory management operations get optimized.
- Improved Patron Services: Spending lesser time on circulation operations allows library staff to serve patrons efficiently.
- Security: The identification and security of library items can be done by merging information into a single tag avoiding the need for an additional security strip. RFID security gates in the library can record foot falls and raise alarms in theft like situations.
Benefits of LSmart-RFID System to Patrons
- 24x7 Check in/Check out for patrons: Use of RFID book drops provides returns facility to patrons 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Self-service kiosks makes the issue and return of library items easier for patrons
- Use of RFID enabled patron cards leads to easy patron identification and reduces errors
- Routine Patron services are not disturbed even when libraries are facing staff shortage and budget cuts.